There are certain ideas that have become common, trite statements about fathers which should be examined a little bit closer.
- DADS LEAVE -
A loving father on the New York City Subway – picture by The NYC Dad’s Group
- THE KIDS WILL GO HUNGRY IF YOU LEAVE THEM WITH DAD -
I wish Chris Routly of Daddy Doctrines would make me heart shaped eggs.
- DADS AREN’T GOOD AT TAKING CARE OF GIRLS -
Jim Lin with his daughter
- THE HOUSE WILL BE A DISASTER AFTER LEAVING THEM WITH DAD -
He took care of the kids AND organized her office while wife, Jill Krause, was on a business trip.
- DADS DON’T MAKE TIME FOR THEIR CHILDREN -
David Vienna making time for his boys.
- DADS RAISE INTOLERANT BOYS -
- DADS AREN’T PATIENT -
Andy Herald draws with his son while waiting at a restaurant.
- DADS DON’T LOVE THEIR KIDS THE SAME WAY MOMS DO -
- DADS CAN’T DO A GIRL’S HAIR OR GET THEM DRESSED -
Adrian Kulp regularly paints his daughter’s nails and braids her hair.
- DADS ARE JUST THE BABYSITTER -
Charlie Capen is not and never will be the babysitter.
- DADS ARE INCOMPETENT GOOFBALLS -
Justin Shyba made it through dental school while raising three young children with wife, Jessica.
- DADS WON’T STAY UP AT NIGHT COMFORTING THE BABIES -
Designer Uri Minkoff comforting his sons.
- YOU CAN’T TRUST A MAN TO BE ALONE WITH A CHILD -
Producer/Director/Actor/Dad Bodhi Elfman referring to his son as his #BFF
- DADS LET THE MOMS DO IT -
Photographer and single dad, Mark Rutherford taking his kids for pizza night in NYC.
- DADS JUST GET THE KIDS OVER EXCITED -
- DADS DON’T SUPPORT THEIR FAMILIES -
My husband with our 3 daughters.
- ADOPTIVE DADS ARE NOT AS LOVING AS BIOLOGICAL ONES -
What are we doing to our men if we constantly portray them as incompetent? Are they actually incompetent or are we not really looking at what is right in front of us?
The men on this Earth, the husbands, the fathers, the brothers and the sons are strong, capable, loving and kind. Please share your stories about the good men in your lives below.
Update: The reaction to this post has been overwhelming and heartwarming. People started sending me pictures of the wonderful fathers in their lives using the hashtag #DadsDoRight. Share your photos on Intagram, Twitter or Facebook. Lets spread the word about loving and involved dads!
(All photos were used with the subject and/or photographer’s permission.)
// Jennifer Latch is an actor and mother of three girls living in San Francisco. Here are the links to get social with her on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. She can also be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org//